Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Life of Blaine

Well, I'm thrilled to see that the gossip blog left the dark woods of obscurity and has burst into the sunny meadow of reality. In the hallowed name of our blog, I will post my current life status.

So, I'm at BYU and taking 6 classes (17 credits.......I'm keeping busy). I've got Human Biology, Psychology, Statistics, Book of Mormon, Writing, and The History of the Bible. Here's how I rank them:

6) Statistics: A boring class with little more than my sleeping peers to keep me entertained. For an hour every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I struggle to keep myself awake while a boring professor drones on and on about means, medians, and heaven knows what else.

5) Writing: Worlds above Stat, this class is small and has a high school English class kind of feel to it. Unfortunately, the professor is nice to a fault and has informed us that he does not enforce due dates for papers. So, naturally, I haven't done a thing for this class.

4) History of the Bible: An interesting class with some great reading material in the curriculum, but unfortunately my class is small and the intellectual conversation is hard to stimulate. Who would have thought that Utah-dwellers would be close-minded?

3) Psychology: This class is super interesting and I may actually consider a career in psychology, unfortunately the only way to fit it in my schedule was by taking the night class. Sadly, this means that once a week I sit from 4:30 to 7 listening to the same professor talk about the same subject. I love psychology, but I don't love it for 2 1/2 hours. Then again, I'm not sure I love anything for 2 1/2 hours.

2) Human Biology: This class is interesting, engaging, and only an hour long. The way the human body works has always interested me, so studying it at the college level is a rush. The only thing I can complain about is when the professor tries to make biology a gospel-themed subject. Not that I hate the gospel or anything.....goodness, what a thought! No, I just like my church and my state separated, that's all. Keep my DNA and my Deity separate (I made that one up by myself)

1) Book of Mormon: See, I'm a spiritual guy....I put Book of Mormon as my favorite class! What's more spiritual than that? Actually though, I really love Book of Mormon. My professor digs into the scriptures in a way I have never experienced and suddenly I'm seeing things I never saw before. Sadly, I do have to complain about one thing. Luckily, it has nothing to do with the class, the professor, the curriculum, and thank goodness nothing to do with the subject. No, my issue is with my peers. See, I remain completely engaged in the lecture from the minute it starts to the minute it's over. My peers, on the other hand, feel that their busy schedules are more important than their learning and insist on zipping up their scriptures and putting away their notebooks during the last 2 minutes of class. The resulting racket is both distracting and infuriating. The professor usually ends with a spiritual clincher or personal story, and while he's trying to wrap it all up everyone around me is completely ignoring him! It takes everything in me to keep from jumping up and screaming like a lunatic, demanding for quiet. C'mon people! Where's the fire? This man is pouring out his soul for our spiritual nourishment, and all you can think about is getting out of here! It's ironic that the only time I consider violent acts against my fellow men is during a religion class.

Okay, that was a pretty long post......sorry about that. Lucky for you going to class is about all I do. I mean, let's face it, friends and dating are difficult investments of time and effort. So, I keep to myself. Is it a lonely way to live? Absolutely. But I'll survive.

4 comments:

  1. hilarious. i love it. not too long, it was fab

    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaine, I love the way you write!! Maybe you should sit at the very front of the class in Book of Mormon?! I wish I was there with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post is top notch. you have a way with words blaine jensen. the book of mormon class rant was my fav! haha love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoroughly enjoyed this post. Blaine, you are too studious for a freshmen. Just remember you are going on a mission, so you can bomb all your classes this year...haha. But seriously.

    ReplyDelete