Thursday, October 14, 2010

Big Switch!!

For the last little while I have been trying to decide what I want to do about dance. I have been a little unhappy with where the major was taking me and decided that I should switch before I ended up hating dance when I graduated.

After planning my own wedding and keeping a pulse on seemingly everyone else's wedding plans I realized how naturally infatuated and passionate I am with planning. There is a major at UVU called Hospitality Management that will help me start a career in this area. It does focus on hotel and restaurant management but it will teach me good skills for planning events like working on a budget, catering and more. My goal with this is to start out as the wedding planner for a hotel and then branch out into being an independent event planner.

So after a lot of thought and a very helpful conversation with Dane's cousin I have decided to change my major to Hospitality Management. You are probably all wondering "But won't this set you back a whole lot and take you forever to graduate now?" The answer is no I still probably had two more years left in the dance program and by switching I will still probably have that long. I am meeting with the advisor for this program next week and he will be able to give me a timeline for when I should graduate.

I am very excited about this change and can't wait to start planning parties and weddings!! I also think it will be easier for me to continue working when Dane and I start a family. If any of you need a party or wedding planned just let me know!! :)  

Jordan

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! I love your line "keeping a pulse on seemingly everyone else's wedding plans" b/c it's true! I think this is a good fit for you! Very well written post :) Miss you! See you at Thane and Shelby's wedding??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a lot like me! Went from Dance, to Elem Ed, to Nutrition, to Communications/Wedding Planning. Interesting! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete